SCP is part of the Corporation for National and Community Service and is sponsored locally by Sacramento County Department of Health & Human Services. Since 1974, Senior Companions have provided assistance to adults with physical, emotional, or mental health limitations, most of whom are senior citizens. These clients have difficulties with daily living tasks and Senior Companions help them retain their dignity and independence.
The activities of the Senior Companion may include:
- Visiting clients in their homes
- Offering transportation to needed medical appointments, senior nutrition centers or shopping
- Providing socialization/companionship
- Assisting with correspondence, paying bills, obtaining community resources, translation/interpretation, and other related tasks
- Utilizing a self-help approach, provide guidance and support to enable clients to make informed choices
- Providing respite to family caregivers.
The Senior Companion Program is a grants based project. It could not happen without the support of the following funders:
- County of Sacramento – Department of Child, Family and Adult Services
- The Corporation of National and Community Service
- Sacramento Area Council Of Governments (FTA/Caltrans)
Agency on Aging / Area 4
- Sacramento Employment and Training Agency (CSBG)
- Sutter Health Foundation
SCP Phone: 916.875.3622